UniCon (UNIversal CONtroller) Board
India’s first Microcontroller Trainer board which supports all three major series (MSC51, AVR, PIC) of Microcontrollers. This one was a developed by closely studying all the microcontroller and microprocessor trainer boards available in the Market. I tried to get all that you ever need to program using a microcontroller on this board. Try different protocols (SPI, I2C, UART) or play around with actuators (Motor Drivers, Relays and Servo Ports on Board). If thats not all, try using IR Remote control and Real Time Clock. You name the feature and I bet we have it on board. This was my last project at TRI and I hope people like it. This was also my first individual project, and was responsible for all parts of it right from conceptualization, designing, market study, programming and testing and finally documentation and course designing (XERA) based on this board.
Introduction (From User Manual):
The UniCon Ver 1.0 is a complete development board by itself. The name UniCon because it is a universal controller board and any 40 pin microcontroller daughter board provided by us can be used in this board.At present we support 89V51RD2 and AVR.The Students and techies working on this board will be acquainted with different types of chips and peripherals.They can also gain sufficient knowledge in control systems as this board also supports motors and relays.The users also get chance to work with displays such as LCD and 7-segment display.The user also gets a chance to work with industry standard protocols such as SPI and I2C using this versatile board.The importance of protocols is stressed by placing I2C compatible ADC and DAC chip in the board.
In short this board covers all spheres in embedded systems and if your looking for a perfect board to train yourself in embedded systems this is the board you must be dealing with.
Whats On Board?
- Power On Switch: It’s a basic push to on – push to off type switch.
- IC 7805: It’s a three terminal linear 5 volt regulator used to supply the microcontroller and other peripherals.
- Motor Enable switch: This switch is used to enable/disable the motor driver chips hence in turn enabling/disabling the motors.
- Reset Switch: This switch is used to reset the microcontroller.
- IC 555: This general purpose timer is used in the mono-stable mode to automatically reset the microcontroller during programming.
- MAX 232: This chip takes care of the voltage conversions needed to communicate with the PC’s RS232 (Serial/ COM) port.
- L293D: It is a 4 channel motor driver with 600mA of current per channel and has inbuilt clamp diodes. The board contains two such chips.
- DS1307: It is a serial time clock which has low power full BCD clock/calendarplus 56 bytes of non volatile SRAM.
- PCF8591P: It has one eight-bit DAC output and four eight-bit ADC inputs.
- AT93C46: It is a 3 wire serial EEPROM.
- SC5-S-DC6V : It is an electrical switch that opens and closes under the control of another electrical circuit.
- TSOP: Miniature Receiver for infrared remote control systems.
- LT 542: Seven segment display
- JHD 162A: 16×2 LCD Display
- Potentiometer (Pot): The potentiometer is used to vary the contrast of the LCD.
- Sensor port: At a time, 8 individual sensor modules can be connected to this port. The port also provides a 5V supply needed drive the sensors.
- DB 9 connector: This is a 9 pin connector used to connect to the PC’s COM port during programming or for general UART communications.
- Switch array: Four general purpose switches are connected in the active-low configuration.
- Crystal: A crystal sets the microcontroller’s clock frequency to 11.0592 MHz.
- Beeper: Connected in the active low mode, the beeper can easily be used to get audible feedbacks from the controller.In this manual we will be covering two microcontrollers,AVR and p89V51rd2.First let us have a look at P89V51RD2.
Spread the word:
- Lynx – Autonomous Indoor Vehicle (AIV)
- Android-Droid Bot – IOIO Bot
- Cloud Robotics Hackathon
- Robot Hand – Weekend Project
- SuRFing the OSIAN while tweeting
- Unmanned Tandem Rotor Helicopter – DP-6 WHISPER
- Tactile Gaming Vest (TGV)
- GuruBhakts: Gesture based swarm approach to control robots on WSN
- Computer Vision Projects
- LoLiT Corporation (Business Plan for DEKA Bionic Arm)
- Miscellaneous Projects
- Bike Camera Mount
- ROBOTRON: Market Analysis of CkBots